September 2014

Calcium Supplements Might Help Prevent Colon Cancer

A recent study suggests that taking calcium supplements might decrease the risk for developing colon cancer.

Calcium is the most abundant mineral in the human body and has several important functions. More than 99 percent of total body calcium is stored in the bones and teeth where it supports the structure. The remaining 1 percent is found throughout the body in blood, muscle, and the intracellular fluid. Calcium is needed for muscle contraction, blood vessel constriction and relaxation, the secretion of hormones and enzymes, and nervous system signaling. A constant level of calcium is maintained in body fluid and tissues so that these vital body processes function efficiently.

In a recent study, researchers conducted a comprehensive literature search for studies evaluating the effects of calcium intake on colon cancer risk published up to December 2013.

The researchers found that with every 300 milligram increase of total daily calcium intake, colon cancer risk reduced by about 8 percent. When calcium supplements were used, every 300 milligram increase was linked to a 9 percent reduced risk.

The authors concluded that consuming calcium in the diet and as supplements might reduce the risk of developing colon cancer.

For information about calcium, please visit Natural Standard’s Food, Herbs & Supplements Database.

For information about integrative therapies for colon cancer prevention, please visit Natural Standard’s Comparative Effectiveness Database.


  1. Keum N, Aune D, Greenwood DC, et al. Calcium intake and colorectal cancer risk: dose-response meta-analysis of prospective observational studies. Int J Cancer. 2014 Oct 15;135(8):1940-8.
  2. Natural Standard: The Authority on Integrative Medicine. 

The information in this brief report is intended for informational purposes only, and is meant to help users better understand health concerns. This information should not be interpreted as specific medical advice. Users should consult with a qualified healthcare provider for specific questions regarding therapies, diagnosis and/or health conditions, prior to making therapeutic decisions. Copyright © 2024 NatMed. Commercial distribution or reproduction prohibited. NatMed is the leading provider of high-quality, evidence-based, clinically-relevant information on natural medicine, dietary supplements, herbs, vitamins, minerals, functional foods, diets, complementary practices, CAM modalities, exercises and medical conditions. Monograph sections include interactions with herbs, drugs, foods and labs, contraindications, depletions, dosing, toxicology, adverse effects, pregnancy and lactation data, synonyms, safety and effectiveness.